after kegging and bottling the first run of white, I saved a few pints of slurry from the fermenter and put together the second version of this sour brown.
- I only changed up a couple of recipe elements, subbing in my super-low alpha saaz hops for last year’s spalter (for 4 IBUs instead of 16) and mashing higher at 156F (12 gallon all-grain recipe):
22 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 78.6 % 3 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 10.7 % 2 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt – 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.1 % 1 lbs Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.6 % 3.00 oz Saaz [1.00 %] – Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 3.7 IBUs
- I ended up taking a long phone call during the mash, which extended my mash time to close to 2 hours. I’m thinking this helped boost my efficiency, since I ended up with an OG of 17.3 brix (1.072), which was a little higher than I would have liked. I pitched the saved slurry with a single vial of WLP530, and in less than a day I had a raging fermentation with krausen blasting the cover off of my half barrel fermenter and pouring out the top. a bout of hot weather forced me to start fermentation at close to 75F, but I have read online that the abbey yeast strain is very temperature tolerant and even thrives at warmer temps, so I have high hopes here.
- after the resounding success of my first tap handle experiment, I made a point to keep an eye out for potential tap handle material during my travels. while playing some incredible disc golf over at solitude a few weeks ago, I came across a pile of aspen branches and scored a perfectly cylindrical chunk from the bunch. after a little sawing and drilling, a wood insert nut was tapped into the branch and a new tap handle was born. now I have reminders of two great trips on display every time I go to grab a pour in the basement.