my folks are fortunate enough to live a stone’s throw from pizza port in carlsbad, and whenever I am down for a visit I can’t resist the temptation to stop by. when the pizza port bottle shop opened next door it just sweetened the deal.
- the spot is very reminiscent of city beer store, although no food is served (not surprisingly) and there is a back patio to chill out at, although there aren’t any seats inside.
- there is also no corkage fee here, whereas city beer charges $1 a pop (last time I checked).
- the place is packed with great beers, and most all are chilled (for better or worse). they seem to be mostly organized by region, so moving from cooler to cooler is like doing a little beverage globetrotting.
- as I had hoped, a cooler by the register had plenty of port/lost abbey goodies, including 2 sizes of cuvee de tomme and angel’s share – too bad I didn’t have a wad of cash on me!
- to top it off, I was shooting it with the cashier and found out he worked at the bruery. I love how connected the beer scene is in CA (not to mention the rest of the US).
- all in all, the pizza port bottle shop is not to be missed – it has plenty of bottles that are not available or hard to find up in SF, as well as friendly staff and locals. I’m actually glad I don’t live nearby, or temptation would attack my wallet with a vengeance.