last week AP and I headed up to SF to celebrate her birthday. the food and drink were great, but three pours in particular stood out:
- location: city beer store
- beer: ’10 oerbier reserva
- comments: AP and I hadn’t been to city beer since their recent renovation/expansion, so we headed over to check out the new layout. despite doubling in real estate, the place was packed on an early thirsday evening. craig grabbed this bottle from their “store only” cooler and executed a perfect pour of this well-balanced malty/sour oud bruin while we discussed the recent increase in bottle shop/beer bar combos.
- location: CB’s backyard
- beer: ducato’s beersel mattina
- comments: CB and I shared this bottle while waiting for the barbecue chimney to heat up some lump charcoal. the sun was setting, the weather was perfect out, and this effervescent, aromatic blend of saison and lambic was a great accompaniment. it’s a shame it had to follow up CB’s earlier pour of dupont’s cidre reserve, a spontaneously fermented cider aged in calvados barrels that absolutely blew me away and is now top on my cider list.
- location: social kitchen and brewery
- beer: house pils (a belgian brown was being poured while I took the shot)
- comments: the last time AP and I were in this building, it was wunder brewing and the service and beers were all over the place. social kitchen changed things up for the better and now provide great food and some tasty beers. the bartender was very attentive and let us sample through the available brews before making a decision. their pils was clean with a pleasant hoppy finish and went well with the burger and brussel sprout chips I ordered up. this is a great option for everyone out in the inner sunset.