Posts Tagged ‘brew sculpture’

stone brewer’s reception; inaugural sculpture brew

Wednesday, August 25th, 2010

unfortunately for myself and AP, we couldn’t make it up to guerneville for the russian river beer revival for the first time in three years.  however, some beer events last weekend definitely made up for it.

  • on friday JF and I headed out to cal state san marcos for stone brewing’s 14th anniversary VIP/brewer’s reception.  basically, stone has their open anniversary event on saturday, but holds a smaller ticketed reception the night before.  the event had a small crowd and great beers, which was right up our alley.
  • there was definitely an all-star crowd at the event – right off the bat I ran into greg koch and spotted patrick rue in line for a pour behind me.  the beer geek in me would have preferred a more traditional booth/name tag setup where guests could more easily interact with brewery representatives as they got a beer, but the single tap lineup and high school reunion social setup made sense here, since it was a brewer’s reception…
  • oh yeah, they had great beers too – standouts included a double dry-hopped version of stone’s 14th anniversary empirial IPA (outstanding aroma balanced out the high abv, much better than the bottle release), lost abbey’s red poppy (a very well balanced oud bruin), an great divide’s chocolate oak aged yeti.

on sunday I managed to crank out my first batch, a kolsch, using the new brew setup.

  • my recipe was based off of edwort’s bee cave brewery kolsch recipe off of homebrewtalk (although I mashed a little higher at 155F):
    • 0.50 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 2.56 %
      14.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 71.79 %
      5.00 lb Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 25.64 %
      2.00 oz Pearle [8.00 %] (60 min) Hops 25.8 IBU
      1.00 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (15 min) Hops 3.6 IBU
      1.00 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
  • the brew went smoothly, although I lost a little wort during cooling when I switched quick disconnects on my plate chiller so the outflow lined up with my in-line thermometer…
  • also, it turns out that natural gas, although much more convenient for me, doesn’t have the oomph propane does – I found myself looking at my watch more than a couple times while waiting for the wort to boil.  therefore, I invested in a heat stick to hopefully help things along more quickly.
  • I managed an OG of 1.05, and calculated my efficiency at 78% – not bad for a first run!
  • the best part of the new brew process was using the plate chiller – after recirculating for a minute or two, I got my wort down to pitchable temps and transferred 10 gals. to my fermentation barrel in a matter of minutes!  I’m definitely not missing my immersion chiller.
  • I tossed the fermentation barrel in my fermentation chamber at around 80F and set the chamber for 65F to cool it down a little, and after a day or so I ramped it up to 68F.  hopefully all goes well…