last friday I was lucky enough to attend the opening gala for sf beer week over at the yerba buena center for the arts.
- the brewer/beer lineup was great, and I was able to try quite a few brews I had been missing out on, like firestone walker’s lil’ opal and anchor’s humming ale.
- however, my favorites of the night came from unlikely sources. drake’s 1500 dry hopped pale really opened my eyes with its great aroma and bitter bite.
- also, valley brewing’s cuvee d’evil was pretty fantastic. pomegranate honey and brandy barrels? sign me uuuup.
- in fact, all of valley’s offerings were memorable – I would have to say they were my favorite booth of the night.
- it was also great to meet some big names in the SF beer scene. jay over at brookstonbeerbulletin, jesse over at beer and nosh, and sean the homebrew chef were all very approachable and friendly in spite of the packed house.
- the gala turned out to be a well-planned (and well-attended) event, and I was glad I had the opportunity to hit it up. on with beer week!