weekend in review 03/06 – 03/07
sorry for the lack of updates folks, been getting slammed at work these days. will be getting back in the saddle soon.
- on saturday AP and I dropped by amsterdam cafe for a status update. the place definitely has a good beer selection, but I found myself struggling to find anything I was excited about. I ended up grabbing another pour of oaked arrogant bastard, poured ice cold, the exact same thing I picked up many months ago.
- for a change of pace, we then rolled over to tommy’s joynt, one of my favorite places for comfort food in the city. we ordered up a ton of grub and got some great beers to match. AP had a trumer pils on draft fresh from berkeley, and I had the petrus oud bruin from bavik, which wasn’t as tart as I had hoped (not at all actually) but was dangerously sessionable.
- on sunday I stopped by CB’s where he and TB were whipping up a barleywine. CB brewed a pale, then a double IPA, and then a barleywine and each got pitched on the yeast cake of the former. some airlocks definitely got blown out on this one.
- instantaneous cooling with in-line oxygenation via the therminator is the shit. period. I can’t believe I have been using an immersion cooler for this long without realizing how much time can be saved.
- after finishing up the brew a bottle of jubel 2010 got cracked open and passed around. although the jubelale series is definitely not one of my favorite beers, this ramped-up version is great, with plenty of complexity that should increase with age.