last week DH, AF and I rolled by church key in north beach for a round.
- DH had three philosophers from ommegang, which was on draft (see review of this quad here).
- AF and I each had one of stone’s sublimely self-righteous ales, which is a remake of their 11th anniversary beer.
- sublimely self-righteous is classified as an american strong on beeradvocate, but stone calls it a “black double IPA.“
- despite my previous ranting about the terminology of black IPAs, I definitely enjoy this brew – the strong hop aroma matched the roasted malts, and some residual sweetness tied it all together.
- this beer won’t necessarily be a go-to beer for me, but it was well-balanced and is a good representative of this new style. now if only stone will remake their 13th anniversary brew next year…
- as for church key, the bartender was friendly and they had a pretty decent selection of beers on tap.
- although their bottle list did contain some winners, the selection seemed a little slimmed down from the last time I was there.
- my only gripe was the pricing – $8 for a pour of a stone brew? that’s a little steep, especially with so many options available in the area. their bottle list was pricey too, which dissuaded me from any experimenting.