I’ll never turn down a request for happy hour at columbus cafe in north beach.
- they have 26 beers on tap, mostly usual suspects, but they have a great west coast IPA selection.
- last friday I met up here with AP, AP, and TM. I started off with a lagunitas IPA, then finished off with a bear republic racer 5 IPA – 2 of my favorite “session IPAs.”
- all seats were taken when I got there about 6:30, but it wasn’t crowded. however, I have been here after 9 or 10pm and the place was shoulder-to-shoulder, so proceed with caution.
- columbus cafe’s happy hour runs from 4-8 (although I thought it stopped at 7 last friday – better double-check).
- the happy hour is 2-for-1 beers, which they give you a token to redeem. this is a great idea since you don’t have to use the token that day, and can redeem it another time.
- another great element here is golden boy pizza down the street, which turns out awesome slices. columbus and golden boy are the north beach equivalent of rosamunde and toronado – they were meant to be.
- also, FYI, rogue, la trappe, and church key are also within walking distance of this place.