belgian brett amber

after pondering secondary brett additions last week, I put some ideas into production by brewing 12 gallons of an amber variant of the pales I had tasted:

  • 16 lbs 8.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 73.0 %
    2 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt – 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.8 %
    2 lbs Munich Malt – 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.8 %
    1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt – 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.4 %
    1.6 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5 0.4 %
    1 lbs Cane (Beet) Sugar (0.0 SRM) Sugar 6 4.4 %
    4.00 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.70 %] – Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 26.1 IBUs
    1.50 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] – Boil 20.0 min Hop 8 5.7 IBUs
    1.50 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] – Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 1.9 IBUs
  • the recipe was inspired by my previous amber ale batch, which was a great drinker but lacked a little yeast complexity and could have used some dry hopping.  MS stopped by and took some great shots of yours truly in action.  coincidentally, he also brought along a 750 of commons brewery’s flemish kiss, another pale with brett in the secondary, from up in portland.  thanks again!
  • I decided on three separate fermentation schedules for different portions of the batch: five gallons were fermented out with WLP575 belgian blend and will be dry hopped with an ounce of fuggles; five were fermented out with WLP575 and will be racked off the yeast cake into secondary, where WLP650 will be added with some bottle dregs and left to percolate for six months or so; and two gallons will be fermented entirely with WLP650.
  • After twelve hours or so, the 575 had gone to town, blowing out both airlocks and streaming down the sides of the carboys.  The 650 took a bit longer, but after three days a pellicle had formed and after a week a healthy krausen has taken over.  The straight belgian will hit the keg in a few weeks, but the waiting game begins for the other two…

              

Tags: , , , ,

Leave a Reply