as mentioned last week, after bottling vizcaino, my latest pipeline beer, I reformulated the recipe and strategy for the second batch in order to optimize desired characteristics in the beer (namely, complex funk and sourness).
- specifically, I changed up the recipe by adding some wheat and reducing simple fermentables and IBUs, as follows (11gal recipe):
26.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 78.79 % 5.00 lb Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 15.15 % 3.00 oz Saaz [1.00 %] (90 min) Hops 4.0 IBU 2.00 lb Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 6.06 %
- I also mashed at 154 and boiled down from 13 gallons in 90 minutes. a boil over and fast sparge left me with an OG of 1.084, which at first was a bit disappointing (I had shot for 1.091) until I realized that if my fermentation goes as planned the final product will be anywhere from 10.5-11%abv. I’m planning on racking onto apricots after six months (at which point in time I may rack the next batch of banning onto the yeast cake) and bottling/kegging after another six.
- as for yeast, after much thought I pitched a second-generation slurry of ECY01 bugfarm blend VI that I had stepped up in about 800mL of starter wort over the course of a couple of days. since the blend supposedly contains multiple varieties of saison yeast, I decided to forgo any other additions. after about 12 hours the blend had attacked the wort and had the airlock aggressively churning. I love this stuff!