patersbier, wild yeast, cuvee update

on saturday I decided to brew a fairly neutral, yeast-forward beer to test out my newly harvested wild strain.

  • I came across a simple recipe from northern brewer online (pdf link) for a patersbier and figured it was just the ticket.
  • I doubled up the recipe as follows:
    • 18.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 100.00 %
      2.00 oz Tradition [6.00 %] (60 min) Hops 22.0 IBU
      1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (10 min) Hops 2.7 IBU
  • I mashed low (148) and added 2 oz. of 8% AA tradition hops, which was for the best since 1.5 gals of wort disappeared during the boil and I ended up with an OG of 1.051 (target was 1.047).
  • I pitched a starter of WLP500 trappist into 5.5 gals of the wort, and pitched a significant amount of my stepped-up wild yeast slurry into a little over 4 gallons.  both were chugging away by sunday morning.

I also managed to rack my cuvee de cabrillo onto some oak and cherries during the brew day.

  • I first had a taste of each of the individual ferments: (A) sour mix/cascade apricot dregs; (B) roselare blend/drie fonteinen dregs/T-58 slurry; and (C) straight T-58 slurry
    • aroma notes: (A) is clean, fruity, with a clean booziness; (B) has more of a dirty fruitiness, with some bubble gum; (C) is sweet, boozy
    • taste notes: (A) is clean, with a light sourness and a dry finish; (B) is fruity, dry, and clean, with a hint of tartness; (C) is hot, boozy, and oxidized with some fruit
    • gravity: (A) FG: 1.019, ABV: 9.17%; (B) FG: 1.013, ABV: 9.81%; (C) FG: 1.011, ABV: 10.05%
  • I then racked ~120 oz. of sour cherries and 2.5 oz. of toasted white finishing oak into a sanke keg.  I soaked the oak in maker’s mark bourbon overnight.
  • after racking (A) and (B) onto the cherries and oak, I noticed some fermentation kick up by the next day.  I kept the slurry from (A) in a gallon jug and racked a quarter gallon of the patersbier wort onto it to keep it busy.  I’ve got high hopes for this one!

 

Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply