- I was stoked to find out that guest speakers included drew beechum of the maltose falcons and matt staley, a homebrewer who brewed with heretic brewing for the last GABF pro-am. eagle rock founder jeremy raub was on hand with some input as well.
- the “lecture” consisted of multiple tastings, general information on brett, and related beer stories. I also picked up various tasting tips, such as cupping your hand over a tasting glass to concentrate aromas.
- several beers were poured during the lecture, including classics like orval, matt’s/heretic’s tafelbully, anchorage’s whiteout wit, fantome’s dalmatienne, victory’s wild devil, and a sample of eagle rock’s equinox fresh from the barrel.
- I also brought along a bomber of my standard saison, which also ended up being cracked and poured for all interested parties. getting positive feedback from the crowd was a great way to end the night.
additionally, I made some headway on a couple of side projects this weekend.
- since my last update, my hops have been growing aggressively, and when it came time to harvest my chinook variety I ended up with 2.5 oz of dry, dank cones that I vacuum sealed and tossed in the freezer for an upcoming batch. there look to be around three times as many cones on my cascade plant, so I am looking forward to another picking session in a week or two once they mature a little more.
- I also had an hour or two to kill on saturday and, thinking back to a thread on homebrewtalk, I ran over to home depot and picked up a hand pump sprayer and adapter which I turned into a pump line cleaner in about five minutes flat. this $15 investment should pay for itself a million times over now that I don’t have to use CO2 to clean my draft lines or beer out dip tubes in my kegs…