last week the CO2 tank in my kegerator ran out of gas, so I took some pics during the tank swap.
- I use a standard converted sanyo 4912 fridge with two front-mounted perlick faucets (here is a great fridge conversion guide)
- instead of a standard CO2 tank, I use 20 oz. paintball tanks with a paintball tank regulator.
- I thought paintball tanks would be easier and cheaper to get filled, since I assumed there were more paintball tank filling places than standard tank fillers around.
- however, it turns out that paintball tanks are being filled with a different type of gas, and as a result, there aren’t many CO2 tank filling spots around anymore. in fact, I get my tanks filled in san jose since no one in the city fills them! what a pain in the ass.
- the only benefit to these smaller tanks is that I can fit 2 corny kegs and the tank in the fridge without any modifications. plus, I naturally carb my kegs and only use CO2 to serve my brew, so a tank lasts a relatively long time.
- however, in the future I would love to get something like a 100lb tank with a dedicated CO2 line running to a built-in bar. I would probably need a fill-up every decade or so…